The blog is evolving!

Stay tuned for new features including journey maps, some missing posts, linked photo albums, minor tweaks and ultimately... the earlier trips...

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 11 - FR

Cookie says...
I wanted to get some photos in the morning but I was too tired. We arrived at the Mont at a good time and started checking it out. Julie Hams, if you ever make it to France, forget about this place. It's one big staircase. There were a lot of steps involved but it was worth it. We took a guided tour through the abbey which was interesting and the guide used to be a draughtsman.


Now we have a bit of a gripe. We have no idea why the French aren't as big as houses. Seriously, every breaky has bread and croissants, even second corner has a patisserie, each patisserie stocks a lot of yummy stuff and everyone buys something from them every day. It's unfair.

We bailed and made for Blois (pronounced Bloy). On the way we listened to some Aussie culture - The Twelfth Man. After checking in I went for a stroll to find another chataeu but I missed it. I climbed even more stairs and at one point I thought I had found an illuminated statue of King Louis but after about 80 stairs, I found out his name was Denis. Julz, Pilty and I headed out for dinner while Sarah stayed in as she was feeling crook.



Julie says...
Mont St Michel wasn't quite what I expected. My thoughts were that it would look like a working monastery with monks, furniture and that 'lived in' feel. Instead, it was empty, smelt stale, and resembled a 3-storey maze. The tour was good, with our guide congratulating us for visiting in winter and not having to fight the crowds. It would have made for some really pretty pictures, but the weather has decided not to play ball the last few days.

Cookie, you didn't 'miss' the chateau in Blois, you lost it. Not sure how, it was about 5 stories high...
And when in the car with two females, you will have to stop occasionally for the bathroom, and so don't yell at us each time we ask for a stop at the services.

Sarah says...
Cookie is a meanie. He yells when we need to go to the bathroom and makes us feel bad. Mum, he is a mean, mean boy - waaaah.

Loved Mont St Michael and thoroughly enjoyed the guided tour. Left for Blois (pronounced Blah or at least that is what I am trying in vain to convince Cookie of).


Pilty says...
Thankfully Cookie decided to keep sleeping thus I didn't have to get up early (I was prepared to take one for the team and accompany him for on one of his world famous time-lapses). The tour of the abbey we did was rather short, but rather interesting. Judging from what I learnt, these days it would take people 110yrs to plan something like this before giving up, when back 1300yrs ago, some dudes just starting building it into the place it is now. I hope to one day own this place...

On a side note, I have no idea whats up with these girls as I can easily last a full day without needing to go to the toilet,

(Julie comment: it was 5 stories tall AND had our car parked underneath it).

No comments:

Post a Comment